Friday, February 19, 2010











NicksWalkabout Feb 2-9, 10

Peg’s Condo could have been transported from Europe, beaded silk sheer curtains on all the windows ; a dark purple damask, swaged over the south wall, framing, sliding glass doors which lead to a small, outdoor porch and flower garden space. Inside, everywhere and often in front of ornate gilded mirrors, artificial flowers so real I kept feeling the leaves or petals to check. The carpets placed over a white, wall to wall, are purple and gold as is the sofa, there are peacocks on a room divider and in a large oriental rug in the living room floor. Very cozy and well appointed ; a spacious kitchen and all, surrounded by windows.
Since we had talked until 2 the night before, I didn’t wake until 10 to brilliant sunshine. Omelets for breakfast and the conversation continued. Peg mentioned that the vertical blind mechanism in the living room wasn’t working. I took a look and realized that the drapes, quite heavy, about 9’ across and in three layers, were coming off the wall. I asked if she had some tools and she produced a little purple bag filled with a nearly complete workshop. Then for good measure, a tote with additional tools and proceeded to fill the dining room table with mini plastic boxes containing many, many drawers each filled with screws, rawl plugs, nuts, bolts etc.. Almost too much , but as Peg says, “I’m a pack rat, maybe I’ll need it one day”. I worked happily on the project until she came home from her part time bank teller job just across the adjacent Mall. She made a delicious dinner and then we watched a Net Flick movie.
It was clear to me that the hardware supporting the drapes was too light and we’d have to find a replacement. I went to a nearby Kmart and bought heavy duty corner brackets and replaced the supports on the damask drape. The rod for the sheers would have to wait.
On Wednesday, another beautiful Spring-like day, I suggested we explore along the river. We had also agreed to a dinner with Amy, David and kids that night on the other side of Washington. On the way to the shore, I suggested we explore on Amy’s side, thus missing the horrendous Washington rush hour. We bisected Washington, straight(ish) through its center and, on coming out the other side, I noticed a sign for the Hdvar Smithsonian Space and Flight Center. Wow, I’ve always wanted to visit and Peg agreed. At the parking entrance we paid a $15 fee which turned out to be the entrance fee as well!
Outside, just behind where I parked , was a silver twist of stainless steel, 45 feet high, 6’wide at the base , top tapering to 6” , and imbedded in black basalt. It reflected the color of the sky, the trees, the base, in fascinating ways as one moved around the sculpture. One of the most beautiful modern pieces I’ve seen created by light and reflection.
Walking into the main hall at the second floor level, 40 feet off the floor was overwhelming! Directly below was a Blackbird, the menacing 2800 mph spy plane that replaced the U2 ; almost no wings , just short stubs at the end of a 120 foot fuselage; certainly another wing. Behind it and in another monster hanger was the Space Shuttle. Looking to the right and left, hundreds of planes, some supported from the ceiling, 40’ above and in dog fight formation, others displayed in rows on the floor below.
I think we were there for 3 hours before we stopped for tea. Peg was bushed and I learned she had had a serious operation about a month ago.! I left her in the cafeteria to check out the hang gliders and ultra light section. Not very well represented but I was told by one of the docents that money was tight. Hell, you could get a fleet of ultra-lights for the price one of the planes represented. Also, I was a bit miffed when the description suggested Ultra light construction was not as safe as normal aircraft construction. I don’t know many pilots who have walked away from 6 crashes ( as I have ), without injury, and I put that down to the strength of the ultra light frames.
We arrived to find Amy and the boys, Adam & Benjamin and Isabel, their sister, waiting for us. The boys excused themselves to go out and have a snowball fight and Isabel and Peg communed. I had a great chance to talk to Amy who looks as pretty as I remember and seems to be very happy as a Mum.
I thoroughly enjoyed the boys 9 and 7. They helped me carrying split wood and start a fire, showed me their bedroom, ( where David has made indestructible 2” x 6” bunk beds ), their Star Wars and Lego creations. Both lads are good with their hands and happy to share what’s on their minds. Isabel is a girly 3 , was in a long flowery dress and she didn’t mind climbing over her brothers on the couch. I’m told she is tough and holds her own.
David made his world famous crab cakes, the ones that are so good they set a standard which is often in one’s mind when ordered at a restaurant, but rarely met. Good fun and a delightful family evening. Back to Peg’s by midnight.
Thursday was threatening. Weather men were predicting record snowfall and people were lining up to hoard supplies. We found the exact rod we needed for the sheers, marked down from $64 to $12 at Penny’s. Peg mentioned she’d be glad to have a ceiling fan in her kitchen so we stopped at Home Depot and found a beauty, on sale, and then as dusk fell, did a $250 grocery shop. Peg says she does this about once a month. It started to snow…. let up about 30 hours later. Whilst 100,000 houses were without electricity and the roads were completely blocked, I knocked off the projects, read, ate well and was warm in good company.
We went out for a walk Friday late afternoon into the usual winter wonderland. By now the SNOW was crotch deep as we left the Condo and piled 12’ high by plows. Peg didn’t have to report for work which was true of the rest of Baltimore. Saturday dawned sunny and dazzling. Guys from Ecuador, on a snow shoveling crew asked me if I could tell them where the fire hydrants were. Vanished under 34” or buried by plows. Went for another walk and conditions were improving; one clear(ish) lane where there had been two; some cars out. The whole area had been declared a disaster to allow emergency, electrical and snow people a chance to get ahead. I dug out my and Peg’s car. Initially you couldn’t tell the difference between them, just two haystacks of snow. The sun was warm and soon, I was in shirt sleeves, shoveling snow; almost my favorite thing to do. It was so light, I could move a stack 3’ high with one swipe.



We returned to the Steakhouse for dinner in the midst of the Super Bowl game and got back in time to catch the last, dramatic half. Another great day !
Monday morning I surfed the net to find out what was available in Williamsburg, VA, 180 mile south. Neat B&Bs but decided I’d wing it as usual. The drive was magical; everything covered in fluffs and piles and sheets of snow. About 50 miles south, it was not so deep and a few hours later, just patches. Nearly wound up in Jamestown but at the last moment saw signs for Williamsburg.
I arrived at the visitor center just after it closed. Thought I’d find a library and there contact B&Bs. Most of my drive had been through country. When I turned away from Historic Williamsburg (WB) which is 1770 in style, I bumped into commercial WB. Every hotel or motel chain you can think of vying for my custom. I settled on Travelodge at $75 for 2 nights with all the amenities and no one here.
Same was true for Historic Williamsburg next day. I reckon no more than 60 people were visiting. Still all the venues were open and I spent as much as 30 minutes each, one on one, with many of the craftspeople learning and questioning. The Cabinet maker, Cooper, Silversmith, Joiner, Apothecary, Milner & Taylor, Blacksmith, were friendly and welcoming.


I participated in a trial where I played the partof a South Carolina gent who tried to use his own State’s currency to pay off debts. My horse and saddle were taken until I could come up with gold or silver; they thought I would abscond and suggested 39 lashes on my bare back. (Virginians however did not tie knots, nor bits of iron or fish hooks in their lashes. They claim no one died from the punishment. ) I was given 7 days to pay or my horse and saddle would be sold at public auction, the remainder returned to me but the judge said this option would return very little.
Lunch was in one of the Taverns eating an excellent beef stew and drinking rum laced cider. Tomorrow, I plan to visit the museums as it’s supposed to SNOW.

2 comments:

  1. hey daddio,
    Glad to get a desciptive, detailed account of your second week on the road. Can't wait to hear where you are now...Last I knew, you were in Ashville, NC...love you heaps!
    xo M

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that Peg is doing so well. I envy you your time with her and Amy's family. Such a long, wonderful friendship we share. Looking forward to your next post. If you go to Ashville, don't miss going to the top of Mount Mitchell, the highest point in NC. Take care. Lots of love, Trudy

    ReplyDelete