Sunday, May 23, 2010

AK Update

To bring you a little up to date. It's been so long.

I lost my wallet and contents in Seattle on the way to meet Niah. Bummer as it contained my driver's license, credit cards, Medicare and a one year fishing license for Florida.

I spoke to the Alaska Div Motor Vehicles who were very sympathetic. NJ could learn a thing or two.

The bureau is streamlined and feels like going to the movies. A gentle woman asks your desires and then gives you a number to talk further to another gentle woman. At first all I got was sympathy. Then one adviser suggested I get an Alaska Driver's license!! She explained that if I wrote a post card to myself and mailed it to my daughter's street residence, and if it was delivered, I would be considered, by the DMV, to be a resident of Alaska. Since one department of Government, THE POST, had officially dubbed me Sir Nicholas of Alaska, who were they to argue. Also, they suggested I visit an almost empty Social Security Office to obtain a copy of my SS#. I had already been there to get a letter stating I was covered by Medicare. Chap was pleased to see me again

Three days later my post card arrived after being sent to Anchorage, sorted, returned to Fairbanks and placed in Marla's mailbox.

I returned to the quiet DMV and requested another number to take the driving written test again, a 20 question multiple choice exam. ( I had tried it the first day and failed as one must answer 16 correct and I got tripped up by a few screwy questions that I forget at the moment). However, I realized that each exam contained some of these and the option to SKIP was offered. This means that the question is put to the back of the pile to return again later. After 15 correct answers, I had it knocked; just a question of strategy; do all the easy ones first, skip the screwy ones.

Long story etc.. I've got an Alaska Driver's license. Bank of A, canceled my credit card and gave me a new one, but for the one year Florida Fishing license, I'm back.

Yes. Niah is cool. I get to spend quality time with her, sharing a bottle, burping and farting. There are no ladies around to take her away from me the minute she peeps. I've been here to watch as she begins to focus and am starting to teach her the tongue language wherein she sticks her tongue out and wiggles it in response to my lead. I'm practicing diaper speed changes and considering a contest much like Indy 500 pit stops. "Gentlemen grab your diapers..."

If I put her in a carrier called a Boppy, then put it on a 24" diameter exercise ball, I can reproduce the effect of driving in a car, flying, shooting rapids and so on, with great ease. I don't have to hold her weight and can continue for 1/2 an hour. Even sip a glass of wine. It's magic. I can flip a screaming child into a docile sleeper in less than a minute. I'm thinking of putting this on U-Tube to help all other Dadski's in distress.

Marla and Hank have the whole process well in hand. Marla is able to easily multi-task, cooking something on the stove, answering e-mails and feeding Niah, simultaneously. We were in a shoe store recently. Niah was hungry. No problem, she was placed on the appropriate button, wrapped under a shawl and Marla tried on various shoes. She bought a pair before Niah was finished.

Our weather has been fabulous with crystal clear skies, puffy clouds and all shades of blue. You can see Danali 80 miles away, (unusual but because it's 20 plus thousand feet high, it sticks up above the horizon.)

Most of all, I'm on call for Niah duty while Marla goes to work or to school or on a run. In between, I've finished a few projects; the railings and new wider stairs for the deck we built last fall (Heather, Mark, Hank & I ), a reconditioned compost bin found at the transfer station and today, a portable greenhouse. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful blog entry, Mr. B! I feel as if I were there with you through the entire adventure. Niah is so sweet. I'm glad that you're getting to spend some quality time with her. Sending hugs for all!
    -Susan

    ReplyDelete