Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hawaii Jan 19 - Jan 26, 2011‏

Had a great time with Jenny & Greg in Hawi (friends of Hank and Marla's). First day I spent fixing stuff around their house, broken kitchen cabinet, sharpen a machete, add new handles, sharpen kitchen knives, and then then the rain stopped and I decided to clear out an over-grown section by the drive with the machete. Soon, I realized I could pull plants out by the roots. Worked for a few hours and got bushed; but then... I found a wooden carving, probably Central American of a God with a Quetzal headdress and made of what looked like Koa, 9 " high, rotting in the undergrowth. Got out the carving knives and in a couple of hours had re-carved it. One arm was in need of repair and the bird's body need attention. I didn't take a picture but it sits on the counter at their house. Since Jenny made a lovely supper Wednesday night, I took them to the Bamboo restaurant in Hawi, and we all had Local Pork and cabbage. As usual, enough for the next day, too. Delicious.
Friday, I had a massage with Michelle, who we met at Anna's Ranch. She told us she used to work with large cats...up to twenty lions and tigers. Massage was super, very strong, not surprising as she had to physically move the adult tigers, and thorough. I felt like jelly and she suggested I stop eating all wheat because she says type O neg should eat meat and nuts, etc; hunter gatherers. "Eat right 4 your blood type", a book outlining her thoughts. I explored around and when I got back to Greg and Jenny's, perhaps 3:30 found a note inviting me to a party with their friends in Waikoloa !
Super party of about 20 people hosted by a Realtor lady, Jan, who Jenny says is her adopted mother. Charming, nice lady. First thing I saw was a large, 4 foot high, carving of a headless mermaid; sister to Winged Victory. I showed her my carving and we had an instant connection. Excellent pupus and great conversation, especially with Rob, an older guy who was just off to Christmas Island for bone fishing. He'd been 3-4 time to New Zealand, (told me me felt boots would never pass NZ customs so I gave them to Greg) but made all the right noises about trout. He guides in South Alaska.
Sat: Jenny, Greg & I went down to a surfing beach south of Hapuna Beach. Incredible waves and hairy entrance to the water. Greg slipped out of his flip flops and carrying his board, crept over a'a lava to meet the rising water. With perfect timing, he glided onto the top of the surging waves and was immediately paddling out to 12 - 14 foot waves. J & I watched from a shaded spot. Jacob joined us a bit later and gave us a blow by blow on Greg's style. (Whole 'nother language!) About noon we started for Hilo to pick up Jenny's new Toyota 4 wheel. Stopped in Waimea for lunch and got to the dealer maybe 2:30. Neat drive, good clear weather and certainly tropical. I said "thanks and goodbye" after a fun check-out drive with the sales agent. Went looking for a used book store to buy the above book. Closed, but next door to a cool gallery run on a Co-op basis. Good Koa Carvings

I've joined a group called couchsurfers.com and my first stay was interesting. I drove up to Samantha Jone's Jungle Rabbit Farm in the rain. Hard to find down a road spaced with lava tubes and so a super uppy-downy roller coaster drive. About dusk I found her and heard dogs barking. She opened her gate and with a big smile welcomed me to what I can describe as a soggy Scout camp, corrugated and tarp on the roof, open on the sides, shed. She has two Chicago wwoof-ers (willing workers on organic farms) staying with her who had tightened up the tarps, but water was still pouring into the kitchen area. I found a ladder and approached the problem differently, from the inside of the building instead of outside and in a while the water was flowing (mostly) where it should. She actually had a couch, nice long thing with good support. However, the back cushions were being used by the boys as extra padding for a bed. I brought an old sheet with me which Jenny said I could have and after a glass of wine and some conversation, (she was a fire dancer in vaudeville type shows across US in the 60 and 70ies), settled down for the night. Incredible noises from the jungle, peeper frogs forever, night birds, and groans from Samantha's dog, Twinkle toes, who had been hit by a car a few days ago and was convalescing. Rain pouring on the roof like Monte Verde, night as black as Ink and amazingly cold. My sheet certainly wasn't warm enough and I didn't get up to do anything about it. Silly bugger! Samantha came to wake me in the morning, noticed I was shivering and threw an Afgan over me. Felt real good.

A neighbor, Alaska Bob, came over complaining about a hitch hiker he had picked up. Seems they had been drinking together. This guy got really drunk and Bob decided to ask him to leave. He was pretty drunk, too. The conversation heated up and Bob decided to show how pissed off he was by slamming his fist into the wall, which broke his little finger. He was in a sling and so he could not physically throw the guy out. Did I mention they both had gotten their plumbers journeyman license in jail and likely had outstanding issues. Anyway, Bob wanted the two wwoof-ers, Mitch and Len and me to threaten this guy who was wrecking his shack and wanted to kill him. Bob was extremely stressed, so I tried to cool him down. I suggested we call the police which he wasn't so keen to do. Finally, Samantha joined in and he finally agreed we should call them.

The wwoofers and I took off for Kilauea and went up to the crater. Fascinating stuff. A ranger gave us the poop on what we were seeing and I won't repeat it, but it was "awesome". We walked around the edge of the crater and experience the steaming air coming out of vents. Sizzlingly hot, instantly. Hotter than steam. We hiked down into the lava tube caves, lighted, 15' in diameter and about 1/4 mile long. Mitch and Ken had flashlights and so continued another 1000 feet. The ranger had told us that dramatic views of live lava could be seen if we drove down to the coast some 50 miles away. We arrived as the sun set and with about 200 others we walked 1/2 mile to be met by a closed road where last week a house had been munched and he was pouring water into cracks to show how hot the lava still was; it came out as steam, instantly. As dark fell, we could see what appeared to be tail-lights on the hill sides, some 1/2 mile away. Not overly dramatic but it's supposed to be a crap-shoot. Some days you see the real stuff, We didn't that night.
We returned to hear that both characters had been arrested; that the problem was more or less the same as both had come up with bail. Glad we didn't get involved with violent drunks. I awoke next morning and made breakfast and then gave Samantha the walking stick I carved. She was ecstatic. I enjoyed my time with her and the wwoofers. Really primitive but simple life style. Before I left I had a shower, water heated by a propane demand heater. Her water comes off the roof and is kept in 55 gal barrels, which is filtered for drinking. All other washing needs are rain water. Hot dish water comes from the shower. The toilet is a 5 gal bucket. Newspaper and moss is spread over each dump. Then, when the bucket is nearly full, it is composted. I slept 15 feet away and there was no odor.

Now I'm living in Hilo with Robert Lee in a comfortable house and sleeping on a double futon with a couple of Canadians, Jan & Jay from Vancouver Island, who work farms around the island. Bob introduced me to Martin Hopman, a generous woodworker who gave me an hour learning about Hawaiian woods. He gave me samples which I'll send home. I also met Dan DeLuz and we chatted about his carvings and bowls. I'm going back tomorrow to watch him work. He has some very unusual tools and I'm sure I will enjoy it. Anyway, soup is ready. With luck , I'll try to put up some pictures. All best wishes, Nick aka Dadadski

No comments:

Post a Comment